DEADLINE TUESDAY 1 OCTOBER 2019 – 11:59 p.m. CEST Timezone
The Jan van Eyck Academie invites visual artists and designers of all disciplines (graphic, fashion, food, etc.), (landscape) architects, curators/writers and researchers to apply for a residency of 12 months. The multidisciplinary character of the Jan van Eyck Academie appeals to the artistic and intellectual versatility of the applicants. Their work testifies to an art practice that is investigative and committed. Participants of the Jan van Eyck Academie are provided with the time and space to develop their work in breadth and depth with all facilities and expertise at hand.
• A residency at the Jan van Eyck Academie is from 2020 onwards set to 12 months. A residency can start either in April or November 2020. The exact starting date of your residency is determined by the institute.
• 32 up to 35 spots are available each year.
• There is no age limit (participants are generally between 26-42 years old).
• Artists who previously have been in residence at another post-academic institute (Rijksakademie, De Ateliers, BAK, Sundaymorning@ekwc) in the Netherlands, cannot apply for a work period at the Jan van Eyck Academie.
• The enrolment fee at the academy amounts to €2,750 at an annual basis. The enrolment fee should be paid before 1 February 2020.
• Participants receive a monthly stipend of €900 and a working budget of €2,000 annually.
• Duos or collectives can apply with 1 project proposal for 1 residency at the Jan van Eyck. When selected they will share 1 studio and 1 stipend. In that case, the enrolment fee has to be paid only once.
• Participants are expected to settle in Maastricht or direct surroundings (in a radius of 10 km) during their stay at the Van Eyck.
The registration fee is €70. The payment procedure is included in the online application: on finalizing the form, you will be redirected to Paypal where you can pay the €70.
The deadline for submitting your application is 1 October 2019 Midnight (CEST Timezone). So the last chance to send in your application is on Tuesday night October 1st at 23:59 / midnight.
After the deadline you will receive an automatic confirmation that your application is been received. You cannot make any adjustments to your application after submitting it. If there are any questions about your application, you will be contacted.
Your application will be assessed by a selection committee consisting of the director of the Jan van Eyck Academie, advisors and one or two external members.
The selection committee will assess your application based on the following criteria:
• the quality of your work, your artist’s attitude, and ambition, your visual and reflective skills as well as your desire and power to make new moves
• the meaning and relevance of your proposal for your residency at the academy
• your In-Lab proposal.
The outcome of the selection procedure will be communicated mid-December.
Before your stay at the Jan van Eyck, you are required to pay a personal contribution. The costs of being enrolled amounts to €2,750 for 1 year.
You will receive a monthly stipend of €900. From this, you will have to deduct rent and living costs. Renting a room amounts to €350 – €500 a month. The rest of the stipend is meant to support yourself. We estimate that it takes an additional €300 – €450 a month to attain an acceptable standard of living.
Each participant has an individual production budget of €2,000 per year.
At the academy, you have an individual studio/working space at your disposal. It is not allowed to use your studio as living accommodation. The academy can advise you in your search for accommodation. It is compulsory to live in or near Maastricht (in a radius of 10 km) during your stay at the Jan van Eyck Academie.
Some foreign participants need a visa and/or a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands. This depends on your nationality. The application for the visa and residence permit will be and can only be done through the Jan van Eyck Academie.
When you enroll as a participant, an agreement of collaboration will be affected. This agreement states all the details concerning your stay, working period, the policies of the academy, and mutual rights and duties. Once you have signed this agreement your working period at the Jan van Eyck Academie can take a start.
For more information and to know how to apply: https://www.janvaneyck.nl/apply/.