Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio is organizing international open call Artists in Residence project “s(k)now” with the project keywords: Winter, Snow, and the Subarctic. All applicants go to the selection process, after the result of it they are going to invite one artist (one group of artists) into “Exhibition Program” and “Artist-in-School Program” for each. In their encounters with culture in Sapporo and Hokkaido as well as exchange with locals, artists are invited to develop and explore their ideas through work based on the project keywords Winter, Snow, and the Subarctic. They will assist participants in mastering a plan, research and production during the residency. In this year, they are organizing Exhibition Program, Artist-in-School Program and Exchange Program with Kwangju, Republic of Korea and Taidong, Taiwan within 2019-2020 s(k)now project supported by Agency for Cultural Affairs Government of Japan, we are expecting incidental encounters among those artists. They look forward to receiving enthusiastic applications from artists and creators.
This Artists in residence Project is hosted by City of Sapporo, and Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio/AIS Planning. Supported by Agency for Cultural Affairs Government of Japan.
For the Artists in Residence 2019-2020 s(k)now of Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio, they hope two invited artists to transform their ideas/project proposals on the keywords: Snow, Winter, and the Subarctic into the actual projects. Together with the creative minds of artists, together with process of those artists’ activities and the result of stay, they want to encourage a great experiment toward seeing beyond boundaries.
1) Exhibition Program
Number of artists: 1 (people or groups)
Create an exhibition presenting the research they conducted over the 60-day residency period.
2) Artist-in-School program
Number of artists: 1 (person or a group)
Participate in the Artist-in-School program operating within Japanese elementary schools. Participants are required to use a classroom as a studio for 2 weeks to create a project. By the end of the residency program, artists will provide a final presentation (in any format).
1) Deadline: Sunday, September 8, 2019 (closed at 23:59 Japan Standard Time)
2) Selection Results: Sunday, September 29, 2019
3) Residency Period: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 – Friday, March 6, 2020 (60 days)
*Please note that the studio building will be closed during winter holidays from December 29 to January 3. They will consult with the artist(s) about where to stay during the holidays.
4) Final presentation (TBC): Friday, February 28, 2020 – Sunday, March 1, 2020
*The format and the dates of the final presentation are flexible. The artist(s) shall determine the best way of preparing their final presentation through consultation with the AIR Director.
1) Be non-Japanese, additionally be non-citizen in Japan
2) Be able to speak and understand either English or Japanese in order to communicate with staff, other artists and the local community.
3) Be able to participate in the full residency program over the 60-day period.
4) Be able to understand and follow the objective of the AIR program, and conduct their activities autonomously during their stay.
5) Have experience in or demonstrate a strong interest in the field of media arts.
6) Have graduated from university (minimum level: bachelor).
7) Preferably, not have previously participated in an AIR program in Japan.
8) Be able to follow the regulations of the facility.
Support for one artist (or group of artists)
Selected artist(s) will be provided with:
1) An invitation letter from the City of Sapporo
2) Studio B rent (including bedding and heating expenses)
3) Necessary coordination for research and production
4) Travel cost (actual cost of 1 return trip from the country of residence to Sapporo, max. 150,000 JPY)
5) Living expenses (for meals, daily life and research) 300,000 JPY / 60 days
6) Actual cost of presentation expenses up to 100,000 JPY
7) Personal dialogue with Selection Committee
8) Arrangement of translation volunteers, coordination with institutions and organizations.
For more information and to apply: https://aarc2017.tumblr.com/post/186067660440/sapporo-tenjinyama-art-studio2019-2020.