The San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles offers an exciting Artist in Residence program for artists who show a strong emphasis in textiles. Artists will have the opportunity to engage with museum visitors while gaining exposure to new audiences. The Maker Space Studio is a semi-private artist in residence workspace and incubator for creativity and dialogue between the artist(s) and the community.
Duration of Residency: 3 months
Available spots: 4 per year
Who may apply:
• Emerging and established artists that incorporate fiber/textiles in their current work
• Artists with a BFA, MFA or who show extensive experience in their field of expertise
• Artists who are comfortable engaging and working with the public
• Artists who are self-guided
• Artists who incorporate performance, community engagement or social practice are encouraged to apply.
Objective: The artist in residence will lead a series of activities that will be open to the community and museum visitors. The majority of the activities will be facilitated by the AIR(s) in the Maker Space, located behind the main galleries. The activities may include scheduled demonstrations of a set skill, lectures or hands-on/participatory activity for visitors during the SOFA artwalks, community days and special events.
• To foster a sense of ownership in the community through creative engagement/social practice while promoting the arts
• To increase visitor participation
• Assist and support artists in his / her own professional development, while providing exposure to a new audience
• To provide artists the time to develop new work and focus on their creative endeavours
• To promote the history and future of textiles.
Stipend: Artists will receive a modest stipend, amount to be determined. Payment is processed in three monthly instalments at the end of the month.
Transportation: It is the Artist’s responsibility to arrange his / her own transportation.
Room & Board: The Museum does not provide room and board. It is the artist’s responsibility to secure housing if needed.
Location: The San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles is located in downtown San Jose’s arts district. Our neighbours include MACLA, SJICA, WORKS, SJMA, and San Jose State University to name a few.
To learn more about the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles and for more information about the call visit the https://www.sjquiltmuseum.org/artist-residency.