The Artistic Research Residency Program Iran-Europe invites Iranian and European artists to present a project on:
• Either the potential re-evaluation, re-viewing and re-activation of a given industrial heritage site by shedding new light on it, defining innovative roles and functions for today and for tomorrow and linking its historical background with possible new roles and functions in the future through artistic means.
• Or on the topic of Living archives. This includes a spectrum of different approaches to deal artistically with: already existing archives, systematic archives, unclassified archives, new archives, incomplete archives, hidden archives, etc…
All projects should have an innovative storytelling dimension by using contemporary artistic formats of research and a community engagement dimension, including collaboration with local artists.
The outcome of the residency can vary in a wide range of artistic expressions, likely to be presented to the public both in situ as well as in another location. In situ interventions might be possible to the extent that they are reversible and in agreement with an Artistic Committee. On each specific site, there is the opportunity for the artists to either work solo on the topic or in European-Iranian tandem.
The programme is organised by BOZAR along with the Goethe Institut(Germany) and HERITΛGE -The Heritage Management Organization (Greece) in the framework of the European project HerMaP – Cultural Heritage Management Project in Iran.
Who can apply?
• Iranian and European artists
• Interested in works of art related to the fields of heritage, architecture, conservation, urban planning and history.
• Willing to travel abroad
• The application can be done individually or in an Iranian-European tandem
Duration and procedure details
All participants will be invited to participate in the following activities:
• Experimental-Lab and Study visits in the Centre for Fine Arts Brussels – BOZAR (beginning of November). The programme, objectives and expected outcomes will be presented to the participants. Artists and experts in the field of industrial heritage will provide professional advice and hints to sharpen their approach.
• Artist in Residency Programme: Each residency is going to take one month between December 2019 and February 2020. The exact time-plan will be sent to the artists after the selection process.
• Presentation of results: In April 2020 there will be an exhibition in Iran, where the productions of each residency will be featured.
• Final Encounter: it will take place in the Centre for Fine Arts Brussels – BOZAR in May 2020 to share all experiences and encourage peer-learning, knowledge-sharing and future collaborations.
HerMap: Artistic Research Residency Programme offers:
• Travel and visa costs, accommodation and daily allowance to attend the Artists-Lab in Brussels in November 2019 together with all selected artists;
• Travel and visa costs, accommodation, daily allowance and technical support for the residency;
• Each residency will be shaped around the individual needs of each successful applicant creating a unique residency opportunity providing a tailored residency program for each successful applicant, to meet and collaborate with local artists and experts.
• Travel and visa costs, accommodation and daily allowance to attend the Final Encounter in Brussels in May 2020.
• Open call deadline: August 30th, 2019
• The participants will be selected by an artistic committee as the jury, consisting of 7 experts from Iran and Europe.
• Six projects will be selected for the industrial sites. Four of them will participate in residencies in Iran and two of them in Europe. Four projects will be selected for the Living archives and will take place in Iran.
• Publication of the final selection of artists: Mid-September.